Friday 14 March 2014

Leaky Carburettor

Just finished fitting a new set of seals & gaskets to the carb on my 4/50, as the main jet assembly was leaking badly over the exhaust pipe! (Float chamber was empty when I took it apart!)  The culprit was obvious when I disassembled the main jet block as the big cork washer was in 2 pieces (called a 'Langite sealing washer' in the workshop manual).
The gasket & seal kit was easily obtained from Burlen (see below), & they advised me to soak the cork washer overnight in engine oil to soften it up & help it seal.  It certainly did the trick, as the carb is now dry as a bone.  Engine started first time on the button on completion, & all I need to do now is fine-tune the main jet once I've had the car out for a run to fully warm it up - not till I've done a similar job on the brake master cylinder though!
Have you checked your carb for leaks recently?  If not, have a look & if necessary give it a treat with a new gasket set - easily fitted, & removes a potential fire risk!
Happy spannering,
Pat Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment