Monday 5 May 2014

Continuing the braking system checks

The test drive after refurbishing the master cylinder although resulting in a reasurringly firm brake pedal, also showed up a distinct pull to the left on gentle braking, although it pulled up straighter on heavier application of the pedal.  After a long winter of relative idleness in the garage (the car, not me!), I suspected sticking slave cylinders, so on a fine Sunday morning I decided to strip the front nearside brake drum down & see how it all looked.
First thing I remembered was that I'm definitely at the front of the queue when we get some hub pullers made, & the second was that I was glad I'd invested in some replacement rubber seals some time ago when I had the chance.  One cylinder was definitely very sticky, & both were weeping a bit - that combined with a probable bit of overheating from a dragging shoe caused by the sticking cylinder resulting in a bit of melting hub grease around the place, also meant that a new set of shoes were in order - again, thankfully held in my stock.
So, after a good clean up & rebuild, the front brakes are performing much better, although I do need to have a look at the offside as well to ensure they are both up to scratch & pulling evenly.
Hope you're giving YOUR car a good look over before getting out & about as the weather improves?
Best wishes, Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment